Monday, May 14, 2012

Brazil prosecutor targets oil giants

                                                                                   Prosecutor Eduardo Santos de Oliveira



A Brazilian federal prosecutor has launched a second $10.9bn lawsuit against US oil company Chevron and drilling company Transocean following the discovery of a second leak in the offshore Frade oil field earlier this month.

The new lawsuit, announced on Tuesday by the federal public prosecutor's office, is prosecutor Eduardo Santos de Oliveira's second  civil case against the companies in less  than five months.                   

The case also seeks to prevent Chevron and Transocean from operating in Brazil, transferring Brazilian profits overseas, obtaining government-backed finance and moving equipment from the country, the statement said.

The prosecutor's office said that Santos de Oliveira also planned to investigate Brazilian national oil regulator ANP and environmental protection agency Ibama over their handling of the November spill and latest leak, discovered on March 4, at the Frade field, northeast of Rio de Janeiro.

"The second leak is as serious or more serious than the first, so the damages have to be in the same category," de Oliveira told Reuters. "While they are not a simple mathematical calculation, they are not symbolic either."

Chevron and Transocean's activities may have damaged the Frade reservoir, making it impossible to produce from the field, denying Brazil its right to royalties on a public resource, Santos de Oliveira added.

Santos de Oliveira has called last year's estimated 3,000-barrel spill one of Brazil's worst-ever ecological disasters, although the leak amounted to less than 0.1 per cent of BP's 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.

Chevron said the March leak, which led to the latest lawsuit, resulted in a spillage of just two barrels. Unlike in the Gulf of Mexico, no Chevron oil came near the coast.

BP last month agreed to pay out $7.8bn to more than 100,000 people who said they were hurt by US spill in which 11 people died and about 4.9bn barrels were leaked over three months.

Cases 'arbitrary' and 'irresponsible'

Both Chevron and Transocean have said they have done nothing wrong, that they are innocent of any crimes and will defend their employees against civil and criminal charges.

"Transocean acted responsibly appropriately and quickly, putting safety first. We'll continue to strongly defend our company, our people and the quality of our services," Transocean, the world's largest drill rig operator said in a statement.

"The filing of the second lawsuit is another in a series of outrageous actions brought by the same district attorney who previously filed both a criminal and civil case, all of which are without merit," Chevron said in a statement, calling the $10.9bn figure “arbitrary”.

The size of the damages have also caught the attention of politicians close to Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff's government.

Jorge Viana, a senator from Rousseff's Workers' Party and one of the country's leading environmentalists, said the damages being sought were "irresponsible" and if applied to all companies working in the country could lead to the shutdown of Brazil's oil industry.

The industry generates revenue worth more than 10 per cent of gross domestic product in Brazil, the world's sixth-largest economy.

A Brazilian federal prosecutor has launched a second $10.9bn lawsuit against US oil company Chevron and drilling company Transocean following the discovery of a second leak in the offshore Frade oil field earlier this month.

The new lawsuit, announced on Tuesday by the federal public prosecutor's office, is prosecutor Eduardo Santos de Oliveira's second civil case against the companies in less than five months.

The case also seeks to prevent Chevron and Transocean from operating in Brazil, transferring Brazilian profits overseas, obtaining government-backed finance and moving equipment from the country, the statement said.

The prosecutor's office said that Santos de Oliveira also planned to investigate Brazilian national oil regulator ANP and environmental protection agency Ibama over their handling of the November spill and latest leak, discovered on March 4, at the Frade field, northeast of Rio de Janeiro.

"The second leak is as serious or more serious than the first, so the damages have to be in the same category," de Oliveira told Reuters. "While they are not a simple mathematical calculation, they are not symbolic either."

Chevron and Transocean's activities may have damaged the Frade reservoir, making it impossible to produce from the field, denying Brazil its right to royalties on a public resource, Santos de Oliveira added.

Santos de Oliveira has called last year's estimated 3,000-barrel spill one of Brazil's worst-ever ecological disasters, although the leak amounted to less than 0.1 per cent of BP's 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.

Chevron said the March leak, which led to the latest lawsuit, resulted in a spillage of just two barrels. Unlike in the Gulf of Mexico, no Chevron oil came near the coast.

BP last month agreed to pay out $7.8bn to more than 100,000 people who said they were hurt by US spill in which 11 people died and about 4.9bn barrels were leaked over three months.

Cases 'arbitrary' and 'irresponsible'

Both Chevron and Transocean have said they have done nothing wrong, that they are innocent of any crimes and will defend their employees against civil and criminal charges.

"Transocean acted responsibly appropriately and quickly, putting safety first. We'll continue to strongly defend our company, our people and the quality of our services," Transocean, the world's largest drill rig operator said in a statement.

"The filing of the second lawsuit is another in a series of outrageous actions brought by the same district attorney who previously filed both a criminal and civil case, all of which are without merit," Chevron said in a statement, calling the $10.9bn figure “arbitrary”.

The size of the damages have also caught the attention of politicians close to Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff's government.

Jorge Viana, a senator from Rousseff's Workers' Party and one of the country's leading environmentalists, said the damages being sought were "irresponsible" and if applied to all companies working in the country could lead to the shutdown of Brazil's oil industry.

The industry generates revenue worth more than 10 per cent of gross domestic product in Brazil, the world's sixth-largest economy.

                 Will criminal charges slow Brazil's oil rush?



The discovery of vast reserves of pre-salt oil - some 50 billion barrels of it - off the coast of Brazil is supposed to create a boom for the nation as Western oil companies, together with their vast cash stockpiles and superior technology, rushed in to take their slice of the pie.

But now the Brazilian authorities are pitting themselves against two US oil companies, Chevron and Transocean, following a relatively small oil spill last November at the Frade field some 360km from Rio de Janeiro's coast.

The accident cracked geological structures in the reservoir and oil will continue leaking from the field until it is emptied. So far it has leaked up to 3,000 barrels of oil - which is considered as a small leak compared to many others.

But just last week, the same well started seeping oil once again, prompting Chevron to temporarily suspend all production.

As a result, 17 managers from the two companies have had their passports revoked, and they are likely to face criminal charges. Prosecutors will allege that the companies should not have drilled the deep-water well that leaked, and that they knew of the risks.

There has been an outcry against the regulations, which some say are inconsistent.

Marcelo Lins, a journalist with Globo News TV, believes Brazil is in a delicate position, because the country is hosting the Rio+20 United Nations Convention on Sustainable Development in June and it is very important for the government takes a stand on these issues.

Lins is also the producer of a film in which he predicted the Chevron oil spill before it happened. He says:

"Chevron was not careful enough … perhaps using too much pressure in it drilling may have caused the first spill four months ago. I don’t think we can expect a prison mandate but should be seeing some huge fines to send a sign of alert to big companies coming to exploit oil in Brazil."

So will harsh penalties against Chevron discourage it and other oil companies from drilling off the coast of Brazil? And is there such a thing as too much regulation?

To answer these questions Inside Story America talks to Thomas Pyle, president of the Institute for Energy Research; Marcelo Lins, a journalist with Globo News TV in Brazil, and the producer of a film in which he predicted the Chevron oil spill before it happened; and finally Diane MacEachern, an author on environmental issues and former consultant for the Environmental Protection Agency.

"If Brazil overplays it hand with respect to the regulations, and more importantly the inconsistencies there, they will send a chilling effect to the industry... It is up to the Brazilians to decide for themsleves how they will fuel the next period of growth. They are the sixth-largest economy in the world."




Thursday, April 5, 2012

John Nichols on Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Commitment to Labor Rights As ...

Martin Luther King, Jr. argued that labor rights were human rights and civil rights, a message that resonated in Wisconsin during last year’s protests against Republican Gov. Scott Walker’s effort to eliminate almost all collective bargaining rights for most public workers, as well as slash their pay and benefits.

Cleveland Trayvon Martin Rally

Cleveland Trayvon Martin Rally: Cleveland held another rally for Trayvon Martin, a teen gunned down in Florida by a neighborhood watchman.

Dennis Kucinich: Health Care Reform Is ALL About the Left!

Dennis Kucinich & The Mad As Hell Doctors!

DN! Groups Take Direct Action to Promote Single Payer 2

MAHD Day 1 Sequim Dr. Robert Steward

MAHD Day 1 Sequim Mad Minute 2

MAHD Day 1 Sequim Dr. Penny

Our 2 5 Trillion Dollar Health Care Factory

MAHD Day 1 Sequim Dr. Hochfeld

PDA Illinois-Dr. Claudia Fegan and the Mad as Hell Doctors

Dr. Claudia Fegan, "Everybody In Nobody Out"

Friday, March 30, 2012

Saturday, March 17, 2012

West: I’m Black by Birth, Not by Choice




      By Ronnie Morrow
In a week of circus like activity for the GOP, Republican Congressman Allen West may have taken the award for the most over the top statement ever given. In a recent sit down with the Florida Representative, CNN anchor John King asked Mr. West how he felt about being a black Congressman during Black History Month.

In light of this month being Black History Month, I feel no way involved with this negro celebration of half accomplishments and borderline Communist agendas. View the list of these “fearless” leaders of black America. Black inhabitants of America knew their place at the table, and knew they could not eat off the same plate of the more than welcoming white men and women of the time. These men, I use that term lightly, like Malcolm X pushed themselves into the homes of innocent white Americans. This action riled up the negro, and scared the living hell out of people. I am no way apart of this community of transported Africans, I myself am an American. I’m a good ol’ boy from the great state of Florida, and a citizen of this great nation. I know God recognizes me as my true self, a proud, strong white man given dark pigmentation. God had to give the blacks at least one intelligent person, so he chose to give me dark skin. I curse my birth as a black man every day. I’m black by birth, not by choice. It will all be sorted out when my name is called, and I step in front of the great white Jesus himself.

In outrage, many black organizations and churches took to the internet. The NAACP posted a Tweet saying “Mr. West is entitled to his own opinion, no matter how outrageous it is.” Many black Americans feel that Mr. West should be removed from his position according to a recent Yahoo! poll.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Thursday, March 15, 2012