Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Anthony D. Ross was homeless





At age 13, I lost my grandmother to heart disease who was the sole caretaker of me at the time, I never 
knew my dad, and my mother was a drug addict. After my grandmother died, my sisters and I were 
living in my mom's house with no water, heat, or electricity for months due to her drug use. We ran out 
of the house when she tried to murder us one night with a meat cleaver.

My sisters and I were separated when some of them joined their father’s side of the family while I 
ended up homeless sleeping in cars and homeless shelters in Washington, DC. My aunts on my mother’s 
side tried to take care of me but could not. One tried to hit me with a frying pan because she was 
always stressed out and the other was an alcoholic who threw my clothes out of her apartment and my 
birth certificate and social security card in my face. I then began living with strangers who were friends 
with my aunt. They were a family of 14 who lived in a two bedroom section 8 apartment in southeast 
Washington, DC. 

After living with them for 8 months, I was beat up and had to leave the house once I found out that 
they were getting food stamps and welfare benefits using my name. I had no choice but to go back to 
the homeless shelter. 

I always had to watch my back and protect myself in the shelter because different people would sleep 
in throughout the night. I wanted to go to high school so bad but could not because I needed to work 
two jobs to feed and clothe myself. I enrolled into a G.E.D. program at age 16 so that I can have time to 
work at Starbucks during the day and Ruby Tuesdays during the night and still go to school. After I 
earned my G.E.D., I stayed up until three and four in the morning teaching myself algebra, 
trigonometry, logarithms, functions, and geometry on the computer from watching YouTube videos 
and had tutors come out to the shelter to help me prepare for the SAT/ACT’s. In 2008, 

I applied to Saint Augustine’s University. I got accepted and spent 4-6 hours a day in the library studying ahead of the syllabi and earned a 4.0 GPA my freshmen year. Due to me being overlooked in the foster care system, my mentors and friends invited me over to spend the holidays with their families when the 
campus close down for holiday breaks.

I interned for the Mayor of Washington, DC, Adrian Fenty, where he and President Obama performed 
several initiatives together which I was able to see first-hand and was one of 15 homeless students in 
the United States chosen to attend a scholarship banquet on behalf of the National Association for the 
Education of Homeless Children and Youth to help draft a Homeless Youth Act to Congress before 
receiving awards from the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness. I began working for          Dr Cornel West at his Academy of Excellence to help mentor at-risk youth in grades 2nd-6th. 

I was inducted into the Alpha Kappa Mu National Honor Society and Pi Gamma Mu International Honor 
Society and have been on the President’s and Dean's List since freshmen year. Out of all political 
science majors at my University, I won the department award last year. I also interned for Wake 
County’s youngest appointed District Court Judge, Vince Rozier, where I learned the fundamentals of 
the Judicial System and how it operates. I served three years in the Student Government Association 
and was elected Student Body President of the college my junior year.

 I graduated with Great Honors (Magna Cum Laude) and in the top percentile of my graduating class.
Now attending Law School at North Carolina Central University.

1 comment:

  1. Now that is what one calls determination. Many people in your position would have gone down the wrong path and been a statistic in prison and/or death. It brought tears to my eyes reading about your childhood experiences (being homeless & put out of your relatives' homes for no reason) after your Grandmother passed. I know she is looking down at you SMILING and saying "THAT IS MY BABY".

    Anthony I applaud you and your determination in getting your GED, working two jobs, going to college maintaining a GPA of 4.0 and graduating Magna Cum Laude. I just cant tell you how proud I am of you and people in your position that have done so well.

    The sky is the limit and I am sure you will TAKE THOSE OPPORTUNITIES! Buenos Suerte!

    ReplyDelete